Chinese
Today is
You are here : Home > Attractions

Yunxiang Temple

( chinadaily.com.cn ) 2013-07-09

Yunxiang Temple

Originally named Nanxiang Temple or Liuyun Temple, its construction started in the fourth year of the Tianjian reign of the Liang of the Southern Dynasty (505). During the Kaicheng reign of the Tang Dynasty (AD 618 -907), the land area of the temple was expanded to 12 hectares and it had more than 700 monks.

A poem by an ancient sings praises of the temple: “Nanxiang has a time-honored ritual place, its architecture and pagodas are the best of all”. In the 39th year of Emperor Kangxi of the Qing Dynasty (1700), it was renamed Yunxiang Temple because of a horizontal plate inscribed by Emperor Kangxi. It became known far and wide.

But the time-honored temple was destroyed in a fire later. The twin pagodas, the stone pillars inscribed with Buddhist scriptures and stone tower, now relocated to Guyi Garden, were the only remnants.

In 2000, Abbot Wu Ming, the sixth generation abbot of Liuyun Temple, and Nanxiang town made joint efforts and reconstructed Liuyun Temple at its original site.

Telephone: 86 (21) 59123333

Address: No 100 Renmin Road, Nanxiang Town, Jiading District

Ticket Price: Free

MAIL TO DISTRICT CHIEFjiading@jiading.gov.cn

ATTRACTIONS

Jiading Fahua Pagoda

The Fahua Pagoda, 40.8 meters tall, is a square, brick-wood structure with seven stories, accessible by ladders.