Today is
You are here : Home > Tourist Attractions

Nanxiang Ancient Town Tour

( ) 2013-08-29

Nanxiang Ancient Town Tour

Route I

Guyi Garden – Nanxiang Old Street (Shuangta Pagoda) – Yunxiang Temple

Route II

Guyi Garden – Nanxiang Old Street (Shuangta Pagoda)

【Jiading Fahua Pagoda】

The pagoda, also called Jinsha Pagoda, is located south of Lianqi River in Zhouqiao, Jiading, and was constructed during the Kaixi reign of the Southern Song Dynasty (1205-1207). The Fahua Pagoda, 40.8 meters tall, is a square, brick-wood structure with seven stories, accessible by ladders.

Due to its weak structure, the Fahua Pagoda collapsed several times in history, and after repeated renovations and reconstruction, the original state and features are still well conserved today.

During the renovation project in 1996, underground chambers built in the Song and Yuan Dynasties and underground chamber built in the Ming Dynasty were discovered, where dozens of valuable cultural relics, such as bronze Buddha statues, stone Buddha statues, iron pagoda, silver basin, jade ware, agate and ancient coins, were excavated.

【Guyi Garden (Guyiyuan)】

Located at Nanxiang town in Jiading, it was built during the reign of Emperor Wanli of the Ming Dynasty (1574-1620). Covering an area of nearly 10 hectares, it was one of the most famous gardens in South China in the Ming Dynasty and the largest of the five classic gardens in Shanghai.

The name of the garden was borrowed from the Book of Songs, meaning beautiful and green bamboo. The Ming-styled architecture, couplets and poems, and stone-paved paths lined with flowers, represent the main features of the garden.

Tourist attractions in the garden, including Bujizhou (non-anchored stone boat), Tangjingzhuang (pavilion of Tang Dynasty scriptures), Yiyetang (the reclusive hall), Buqueting (corner lost pavilion), Qingqing Garden (green and clean garden) and Nanyuan all bear rich and unique gardening connotations.

A folk saying manifests the beauty and reputation of Guyi Garden: "Classic gardens in Suzhou are the best, and in parallel, there is Guyi Garden in Nanxiang, Shanghai."

【Yunxiang Temple】

Yunxiang Temple, or Liuyun Temple, was originally named Nanxiang Temple. It was built in the fourth year of Tianjian under the reign of Nanliang during the Southern and Northern Dynasty (AD 420-581).

In 1700, with an inscription from Emperor Kangxi in the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911), it was renamed Yunxiang Temple. It was destroyed in a fire, with only the Double Temple, Shijing Streamer and Shita Temple left. In 2000, Yunxiang Temple was rebuilt.



Jiading Fahua Pagoda

The Fahua Pagoda, 40.8 meters tall, is a square, brick-wood structure with seven stories, accessible by ladders.