Chinese
Today is
You are here : Home > Local

Red Tourism sites in Shanghai

( CHINA DAILY ) 2021-05-18

Former Site of the Editorial Department of New Youth magazine

Revolutionary magazine New Youth, which initiated the New Culture Movement and spread the influence of the May Fourth Movement, was established by Chen Duxiu in Shanghai in 1915. The editorial office was briefly based in Beijing but moved back to Shanghai in 1920. The building also served as the office for the Communist Party of China Central Committee in the 1920s.

Address: No. 2, 100 Nanchang Road, Huangpu district

Former residence of Chen Wangdao

This three-story building was the home of renowned scholar and educator Chen Wangdao. In 1920, Chen completed the first Chinese translation of The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels. He also served as President of Fudan University from 1952 to 1977. The residence was transformed into an exhibition hall for the manifesto in 2018.

Address: 51 Guofu Road, Yangpu district

Huangpu Wharf

Huangpu Wharf in Yangpu district was the departure point for about 650 Chinese students who headed to France from March 1919 to December 1920 to further their studies. They included Zhou Enlai, later the first premier of the People's Republic of China, and Deng Xiaoping, later the leader of the PRC.

Address: 32 Qinhuangdao Road, Yangpu district

The Memorial of the Site of the First National Congress of the Communist Party of China

The site, formerly the residence of CPC founding member Li Hanjun, hosted the initial session of the Party's first national congress before the event was relocated to Nanhu Lake in Jiaxing, Zhejiang province, in July 1921. The congress approved the Party program, elected its central governing body and established the CPC.

Address: 76 Xingye Road, Huangpu district

The Memorial of the Site of the Second National Congress of the CPC

This was where 12 CPC members convened for the Second CPC National Congress in July 1922, during which the CPC Constitution-the fundamental guideline for all Party activities-was formulated. This site was the former residence of Li Da, who undertook publicity work for the CPC Central Committee.

Address: No. 30, 7 North Chengdu Road, Jing'an district

The Fourth National Congress of the CPC Memorial Hall

The Party's decision to lead the revolution on its own amid opposition from the right wing of the Kuomintang was made during the fourth national congress. The original site that hosted the congress was destroyed during wartime. The current memorial hall was built in 2006.

Address: 1468, North Sichuan Road, Hongkou district

The Former Office of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the CPC (1928-31)

This two-story residential building served as the office of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the CPC between 1928 and 1931, after bureau members were prosecuted by the Kuomintang in April 1927. Xiong Jingding, who worked for the CPC Committee in Hubei province before being assigned to work as a Party accountant in Shanghai, made the location a safe house for Party members.

Address: 171 to 173, Central Yunnan Road, Huangpu district

The CPC delegation office in Shanghai

This four-story Spanish-style garden residence, which housed the CPC delegation office, was built in the 1920s. It also served as the residence of Zhou Enlai from 1946 to 1947. The building was renovated in 1979 and opened to the public in 1986.

Address: 73 Sinan Road, Huangpu district

The Longhua Memorial of Revolutionary Martyrs

The memorial was built to commemorate 24 CPC members who were murdered by Kuomintang troops on Feb 7, 1931.

Address: 2591 Longhua Road, Xuhui district

Wing On Department Store

Opened in 1918 by Chinese entrepreneurs from Hong Kong-listed Wing On Company International, the Wing On Department Store played a pivotal role during the War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression (1931-45) by supporting the CPC via donations of money and goods. The first national flag was hoisted in front of the store to mark Shanghai's liberation in 1949.

Address: 635 East Nanjing Road, Huangpu district

MAIL TO DISTRICT CHIEFjiading@jiading.gov.cn

ATTRACTIONS

Jiading Fahua Pagoda

The Fahua Pagoda, 40.8 meters tall, is a square, brick-wood structure with seven stories, accessible by ladders.